2011年9月15日星期四

My Eyeglasses and My Near-eyesight

At the age of 8, I was taken to an optometrist. I didn't know why I was there or what it was for. The optometrist took an examination which did not take much time on me that he put a weird eye lens machine in front of me and made me read the letters on the projection screen. A week later, I came back, only to get a pair of glasses. Although I did not like it at all because I felt weird, disoriented, and constricted when I wore it, I took them home. But I never wore my eyeglasses only when my mother asked me to do so at home, while outside my home, away from my mother, I just put it in the case in my pocket.
I think I could see everything perfectly without eyeglasses. Perhaps I squinted a little when I looked at the blackboard at school, but that was all. I did not like the eyeglasses, did not need it, so I never wore it when away from my mother. But later my teacher sent me to the school nurse who told me to wear my eyeglasses all the time. Since then I have worn eyeglasses every day for more than 30 years. However, I am sure I did not need eyeglasses at the beginning. I could see much better before I started wearing eyeglasses than after that.
What happened? After wearing eyeglasses for a little while I totally depend on my eyeglasses. Without it I couldn't see anything clearly, even past 15 feet. The world was completely a blur as for me. Without my eyeglasses, I couldn't work, drive, read the street signs, see the writing on the blackboard, do sports, or watch TV. What's worse, without it, I couldn't recognize people. I could see the human's figures pretty good, but I couldn't recognize their faces which were definitely a blank, like a hazy patch.
I was completely dependent on my eyeglasses and my eyesight was getting worse and worse. One of my eyes was getting much weaker than the other. In addition, I had night blindness that I saw haloes and streaks around lights, which made me worry about my deteriorating eyesight very much. Finally I went to the optometrist again. He checked my eyes, gave me a pair of much thicker eyeglasses and sent me away without saying too much. His whole examination was done in almost total silence. He offered no explanation about his examination and the results. Everything was going well that sun was shinning, birds were singing as I was being led down the garden path towards blindness. Something must be going wrong. I was going blind but the optometrist did not pay the least attention. It's unbelievable.
What kind of medical treatment is this? I was supposed to be getting better not worse. Maybe the main problem is that optometrists believe that vision problems cannot be prevented or healed, but only end with eyeglasses, contact lenses, or laser surgery. Nothing can be done to change this situation. They just tell me that I have to wear eyeglasses for the rest of your life. They have no vision loss prevention program. As your version deteriorates, they only prescribe stronger eyeglasses and monitor the development of eye diseases, like cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration, whereupon they quit and send you to the eye surgeon. As for normal health problems, doctors' only prescription is a healthy lifestyle like exercising, eating health, relieving stress, limiting your alcohol and cigarette and having a good rest every day, which are good for your eyes too. Doctors recognize that our body can heal some diseases by itself, and so can our eyes.
http://goarticles.com/article/My-Eyeglasses-and-My-Near-eyesight/2684054/

没有评论:

发表评论